IC2 Full Day: Becoming An Assistive Technology “Maker” – A Hands-on Fabrication Workshop
Tuesday, June 27, 8:30am – 5:30pm
Member: Early Bird $215
Non-Member: Early Bird $285
Student: Early Bird $210
*Required: Essential Supplies Fee $30
Primary Subject Area: JEA
Content Level: NEW
The “Makers Movement” continues to gain moment nationally. Local, state and regional “maker spaces” are popping up across the country in order to fabricate device and products in a timely fashion. This workshop embraces rapid fabrication techniques using an assortments of sustainable and reusable materials for creation of assistive technology devices that can be used in multiple ways to maximize independence at home, work, school, and play. This hands-on fabrication workshop will discuss, demonstrate and provide participants with new tools, materials, and techniques for fabricating hundreds of assistive technology devices in minutes. In addition, participants will fabricate six different multiuse devices.
Canal, 3rd Floor
How to Register
This course is being offered during the pre-conference session of RESNA 2017. A separate fee is required for all pre-conference sessions. To register, click on the "Registration" and choose one of the following options:
- Full Conference with Pre-Conference Option - if you wish to register for this course as well as the full, three-day conference
- Canadian Two-Day (Wed. and Thurs.) with Pre-Conference Option - if you wish to register for this course and are approved for this special, two-day conference
- One-Day Conference (Wed., Thurs., or Fri.) with Pre-Conference Option - if you wish to register for this course as well as one day of the conference
- Pre-Conference Only - if you wish to only register for this course
Please note that this course may be cancelled if registration numbers are low.
Registration Deadline : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:00am
Job & Environmental Accommodation – Including Ergonomics: Access to employment, education, or built environments, ergonomics, farming and other rural interventions, EADL systems, universal design of products, places & systems, home accessibility, liability and legal issues associated with home access and workplace modifications.
Emerging Technology: Emerging technologies are new technologies and innovations with the potential to improve the health and well-being of people with disabilities. This is primarily for new technology not yet on the market or a new application of technology.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 10 new tools and materials for fabricating solutions in minutes.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 30 new assistive technology devices that can be created using corrugated plastics; Loc-Line; Quick Grip clamps; foam covered wire; Velcro Brand one-wrap; and Instamorph.
- Participants will develop and demonstrate skills acquisition by fabricating three multiuse assistive technology solutions using Coroplast, Loc-Line, Clever cutters, Coroclaws and tapes.
- Participants will develop skills using five new specialty tapes, fasteners, Instamorph, and will fabricate three multi-use devices from these materials.
- Participants will be able to list and describe at least three ways to quickly replicate solutions made.
- Identifying New Tools and Materials for Creating Assistive Technology Solutions in Minutes
- Identify at least 30 new assistive technology devices that can be created using corrugated plastics; Loc-Line; Quick Grip clamps; foam covered wire; Velcro brand fasteners; and Instamorph
- Demonstrate skill acquisition in use of tools and materials by fabricating three solutions using Coroplast, specialty tapes, and Loc-Line materials.
- Demonstrate skill acquisition in use of tools and materials by fabricating one solution using Instamorph.
- Demonstrate skill acquisition in use of tools and materials by fabricating two multi-use solutions using new Velcro brand fasteners and a foam covered wire.
- Participants will be able to list and describe at least three ways to quickly replicate solutions created.
- Discussion Period – Questions and Answers Session following a short quiz