The International Special Interest Group (SIG) is a forum for RESNA members who are interested in networking, providing services, and conducting research relative to Assistive Technology outside of North America. We seek to both grow as individuals and contribute to our profession through the exchange of information and experience across borders. The International SIG encourages and facilitates collaboration on Assistive Technology projects worldwide.
The RESNA International SIG seeks to act as incubator or supporting player for projects worldwide that contribute to Assistive Technology development and application. Here are some of the projects that we are currently supporting...
24 Hour PCM (Posture Care Management): See the statement of purpose, FAQ and resource list here.
- Committee: Chair, Tamara Kittelson-Aldred, MS, OTR/L, ATP/SMS firstname.lastname@example.org (English)
- Co-Chairs: Silvana Contepomi, PT, email@example.com (Spanish, English), Lee Ann Hoffman, OT, MSc. Rehab. ATP, LeeAnn@workingwithOT.com (English, Afrikaans), Patricia Toole, OTR/L, MAT, MsOT, ATP,firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Spanish).
- ISWP Certification: For the new International Society of Wheelchair Professionals WSP (Wheelchair Service Provider) certification see https://wheelchairnetwork.org/get-certified/
- Functional Mobility Assessment (FMA) implementation in Latin America: If you would like to contribute to the implementation of outcomes measurement in Latin America via the FMA, please contact Ana Allegretti.
- Increase RESNA Membership in Mexico and the Caribbean: Help Yohali Burrola seek influential, high-profile, professional, English-speaking RESNA members in Mexico and the Caribbean. Contact email@example.com.
SIG members contributed their knowledge to create this list of helpful resources.
Here are useful English-language resources for international Assistive Technology information. If you know of more resources, or if you find any of these to be inappropriate, please inform the SIG Chair.
- AgrAbility | www.agrability.org
- Assistive Technology Industry Association webinars | www.atia.org/webinars/
- Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe (AAATE) | aaate.net/
- Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association (ARATA) | www.arata.org.au/
- Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation | www.christopherreeve.org
- Diversability Development Organization (DDO) | www.diversable.org
- Eleanore's Project https://www.eleanoresproject.org/
- Free Wheelchair Mission https://www.freewheelchairmission.org/
- Global Cooperation on Assistive Technology (GATE) | www.who.int/phi/implementation/assistive_technology/en/
- Hands help Hands https://handshelphands.org/
- Hesperian Health Guides https://hesperian.org/
- Hope Haven https://www.hopehaven.org/what-we-do/international-ministries/wheelchairs
- International Society of Wheelchair Professionals (ISWP) | www.wheelchairnet.org/
- Journal of Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies Engineering | journals.sagepub.com/home/jrt
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine | www.lshtm.ac.uk.
- Motivation UK https://www.motivation.org.uk/
- National Center on Accessible Educational Materials | aem.cast.org/
- Propel Dominican Republic https://www.propeldr.com/
- Rehabilitation Engineering Society of Japan (RESJA) | http://www.resja.or.jp/eng/
- Rehabilitation Engineering Society of Korea (RESKO) | https://resko.jams.or.kr/co/locale.kci?lang=en_US
- Toronto Rehabilitation Institute (KITE) | www.kite-uhn.com
- TREAT | www.treatcenter.org
- Whirlwind Wheelchair https://whirlwindwheelchair.org/
- WHO Guidelines on the provision of manual wheelchairs in less-resourced settings | www.who.int/disabilities/publications/technology/wheelchairguidelines/en/
Chair: Perry Loh
Vice Chair: Yohali Burrola-Mendez
Vice-Chair: Yih-Kuen Jan
Vice-Chair: Stephanie Vasquez